Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Crazy bouncy rolly

It's been a crazy, bouncy, rolly couple of weeks. 

It began with preparation for the Bedlam Farm Open House cookout, then the open house. We left that Sunday for a whirlwind trip to Long Island for Jay's great-grandfather's 90th birthday, capped off with Jay's intro to the ocean at Robert Moses beach. 

The day after we got home from that, Laura left for a four-day work trip to Pennsylvania. She got home around 11:30 am Friday, and by 12:30 I was on the road for a three-day horse show in Massachusetts. 

I got home Sunday night, and spent Monday sorting and editing over 5000 pix from the show before getting dragged away for a steak-and-beer birthday dinner. 

A full day with Jay yesterday included a trip to Emerald Lake beach in Vermont, then more editing while he napped. Strong storms last night coupled with exhaustion meant no progress on uploading photos, but Jay and I got in some good hill-rolling before the rain and thunder hit. And, just for good measure he was UP, for good, at 3:00 this morning. We discussed the value of sleep and the likelihood of dinosaurs visiting (THEY like to sleep at night too!). 

Finally, 7:15 rolled around and it was time to ship him to daycare for the day. I came home and uploaded the 3286 images that survived the cut, watered the garden (just in time for another storm), and...


An hour before I go to pick him up. A bit of ME time. I'm afraid to get too cozy. I will sleep MUCH longer than one hour if I sack out.

As if on cue, this year's fawns introduced themselves just now. Two does have given birth in our woods every year since we moved in. This is our fourth summer here. I was hoping the moms and fetuses made it through the really tough winter, and expected the worst. We generally see them before this, and I thought no way, no babies this year. Then, craning my neck and shoulders to stay awake, I saw this forty feet from my back window:

And soon there was another. I fumbled around to get me camera set up (still in the garage in the car with the wrong lens for this), and as luck would have it, the kids were feeling brave.

They bounced around my back yard, checked out the horses, and eventually answered a call from one of the mothers to get back home.

Better than a nap, any day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment